Whew folks, I am insanely busy this week with lots of “behind the scenes” stuff, including adding the finishing touches to the new book. I’ll definitely be writing a full post when everything is set and ready to go.
As you can see from the photo, last night I participated in another edition of the Scena Deschisa, reciting a few “poems” I wrote in Romanian language for the crowd. I had a ton of fun and it seemed like everyone in the audience did as well.
I would like to further address my post from yesterday. Instead of another 2,000 word screed, I’ll sum it up in a few points:
- Michael Noer is renowned for his offensive and idiotic articles. The article he wrote a few years ago advising men not to marry smart, intelligent women was so offensive that it had to be deleted from his website less than 24 hours after it was posted.
- His blog posts about Romania are not funny. I like comedy. I went to a comedy show last night and recited some humorous poems myself. I like jokes as much as anyone (and yes, the winner of last night’s show even did a joke in English about Romanians – and it was quite funny) but Noer’s posts are not funny.
- Saying “it’s all just a joke” or “where’s your sense of humor?” is the standard retort used by churls worldwide to excuse racist, misogynistic and otherwise hurtful language and behavior. If it’s funny, we’ll laugh. If we’re not laughing it’s because it’s not funny.
- When your readership (and not just Yours Truly) begin leaving you comments and trying to contact you (including via Twitter) and you do not even deign to respond, that reflects exactly how much you “respect” your audience. People contradict me and disagree with me all the time on this site and I always do my best to respond.
- The entire premise of Noer’s “joke” is that Romania is some savage wilderness due to roaming packs of feral dogs. I went to Bucharest 3 or 4 times last year and traveled all over the city on foot. I saw fewer dogs there on the street than I see every day here in Cluj and I saw not one dog who looked or acted aggressive. I don’t give a shit what the mendacious fount of hypocrisy known as the U.S. State Department says about this country – a real journalist would spend 5 minutes doing some research (including my full post on dogs here) before writing an article. The statistics on dog attacks in the United States are easily discoverable online and clearly demonstrate you’re at far greater risk of death and serious injury from canine attacks in America than in Romania.
- I have yet to ascertain any legitimate reason for Noer to send his journalist to Romania to “stress test” some laptops. It’s far colder and there is far more wintry weather (snow, ice, etc) in New York City (where the journalist is based) than in Romania. Other reputable media (such as CNET, Consumer Reports, etc) manage to stress test laptops all the time without resorting to sending reporters overseas.
- 24 hours after writing my emails, I have yet to receive even a courtesy response (e.g. “We received your email”) from either party. Enough said.
- I have no interest in censoring someone’s writing. If people want to write racist garbage about Romania then that’s their right. However I reserve the right to respond and no, hell no I’m not going to take it “lying down”, as it were.
Again folks, apologies for the slow posting. Hope to get back to “normal” around these parts by next week!