Found on the internet

Current 10 lei note

Clearly the picture above is funny and all as the house matches the house in the picture on the back of the Romanian money.

BUT…. I can’t help but note that the poor peasant woman toting a barrel is the only woman pictured on Romanian money. I fully acknowledge that there are a grand total of zero women on American money and were next to none on any of the old European currencies but still…

I also continually wonder what exactly is IN that barrel as I’ve never once seen a real life peasant (male or female) toting barrels. Sheaves of grain, swathes of cereals, farming implements, harvested food, yes. Barrels never.

I GUESS I’LL NEVER KNOW!

1. Rushal says:

Would you happen to have any failmy photo’s that were taken in Sterling that you would be willing to share? I live in Sterling and am interested in the history. Any photo’s that also include buildings are of interest.I remember your Aunt Francis and Uncle Dugan and Butch, they lived down the road from me when I was growing up.

2. Buda Florin says:

that house is a source of deja vu’s :)

3. KiloServer says:

I think the vessel in question is a putină. Not sure, though.

4. RTDK says:

Well, actually, if you turn the 10 lei note around you can see a representation of Nicolae Grigorescu, a very important Romanian painter who mostly portrayed the country life. So, having a țărăncuță carrying an ulcior/opreg bănățean, to be more accurate, (filled with, probably, water), in front of a casă bătrânească kinda makes sense. Am I right or am I right ?

5. Mircea Laslo says:

See, that’s what I love about your blog, you ask questions that have never even crossed my mind, as a native. And to sort-of answer yours, about the barrel – in fact, I’m not convinced it’s a barrel. Looks more like an old-school “ulcior” (pitcher, jug) – the protruding little lip of it, meant for pouring, and the easy to miss fragment of a handle in the back give it away.

6. dan says:

it’s probably water…or …țuică… lol :))

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )